Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Haunted Hustle Half Marathon

Leading up to this race I was not having as good of training sessions as I had wanted. But it turns out it was enough to make a successful race.

Goals for the race
-Have fun
-Enjoy the local/home town atmosphere
-See what I could do for an open half marathon

TIGAR TIME
Wanted to make some people laugh and just be goofy.  So I found a fun looking costume to wear, which included, a speedo, Orange/black striped nylons, tiger hat, black tail, black arm warmers and black striped face paint on the chest. TIGAR TIME!!

Got to meet up with the Endurance House BAM team (Becoming a Marathoner Team,) a group that I helped out with as being a run leader leading up to the race. After visiting the team I tried to do anything to warm up before the race.  Before I could even come close to breaking a sweat I had to take off the warm ups and get to the starting line.  Lets just say you get extra cold waiting for a race start in a speedo with no shirt.

The group of 3 About 1.5miles In
Gun finally went off and the 2011 Haunted Hustle race had began for me and my new Newton MV2's!! I recognized a few of the lead runners around me before the start and new that I had my work cut out for me.  First mile came around and our group of four came through around 5:20.  Shock and panic rushed in, but I did not feel like I was putting forth any effort so I kept on plugging away.  The group dwindled down to 2, the TURTLE and the TIGAR!! Came by the 10k with a new PR but by the time mile 7 came the TURTLE pulled away from the TIGAR.


The rest of the race was simply a BLAST!! I truly enjoyed the race experience, got to see many spectators that I recognized and many motivated racers while passing by.  Running a race near your hometown could very well be one of my favorite things to do.  With about 2 miles to go the third place guy came out of no place and ran by me.  The finishing mile was uplifting because I got to see my girlfriend who was running her first 10K which was SWEET as well as my parents who were cheering loud for there tiger.  Came across the line happily in 3rd place with a new Half Marathon PR of 1hr 14min!!

Time for a nice weeklong break then a little prep for the Berbee Derby 10k race!!

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE READ, and hope YOU can join me next year at the Haunted Hustle 10k/Half Marathon/Marathon race!
GTGTG
FINISHED!! Post race fun : )

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the time would have been if you ditched the costume?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cant do a Haunted Hustle without a costume. But would have at least cut off 4min haha. Just kidding, not sure what would have happened. Prob not much of a time diff.

    ReplyDelete